Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Grandma Knows Best!

Growing up my grandma would always make stuffed green peppers for my family. Each time my dad would bring home a new batch to stuff in the freezer, I would shiver and say.. "Ew! Yuck!" Year after year, my hatred and disgust towards this family tradition grew larger and larger. It was snowballing out of control. 

Why did I hate those peppers so much? I'm not sure. The real question is, why didn't I ever actually try them? (I imagine my sister is shaking her head at me now). Let's just say I was judging this edible book by its cover. Now here I sit at the age of 23 preparing to tell you about my own stuffed pepper experience. 

Does this mean I'm growing up?

Taco Stuffed Peppers from AllRecipes.com
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 1/2 pound ground beef or lean ground turkey
  • 1 tablespoon chopped onions
  • 1 can kidney beans (drained -forgot to do that!)
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 3 tbsp taco seasoning (I definitely used the whole package)
  • sour cream
  • cheddar cheese

note: I made several changes to this recipe on accident. Peppers still turned out great!


Step 1: Cook the meat (I used lean ground turkey) and chopped onions in your skillet. 


Step 2: Boil the peppers that you've cut in half and de-seeded. (whoops! Forgot to mention that step).


Step 3: After you've drained your meat mixture, add 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can of kidney beans, and 1 package of taco seasoning. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for ...umm.. however long you feel it should simmer.


Step 4: Simmer down now.

Step 5: Pop in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees and let bake!

Step 6: Take a photograph for your blog.


Step 7: Park your butt on the porch with a good book and enjoy.  Sorry, that was bossy. You may sit and do wherever you would like.

Roaring Peppers - Get it?

Consider this my public apology for never trying my grandma's stuffed peppers.

Don't worry - we're on the phone now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...