Thursday, January 10, 2013

Haiku for the New Year

Happy Thursday! Thanks to an inspirational post by Barbara at the Corner on Character, I challenged my students to write a haiku about their New Year's Resolutions last week. I was blown away by their creativity and thoughtful resolutions. I have a class full of students with enormous hearts!

We briefly talked about the structure of a haiku and its origin, then I sent them on their way. The day before we had talked about the word "resolution" and made goals, so each student had an initial idea of what they could write about.




We had haikus about laughter, love, organization, learning new skills, and so on. Several new goals were set for the new year. Now they're proudly on display in the hallway. It was a great activity to jump start the new year on a positive note. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay ... I'm just now seeing this because the 10th is the day I had my car crash and I'm just now catching up. Their Haikus turned out great!!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...